Ostuni, in the province of Brindisi, rises in Valle d’Itria about 200 meters above sea level. From Brindisi it is about 42 km and from the Adriatic coast about 8 km where the Blue Flag has been flying for twenty years.
Known as the “White City” for the color of the houses painted with lime from the ancient village, used since the Middle Ages a little because it was an easy material to find and because it was able to give light to the narrow alleys of the historic center. Ostuni is undoubtedly one of the most renowned tourist town of Puglia.
In the seventeenth century, this area of Puglia experienced the plague and thanks to the lime painting Ostuni was spared, the lime, a real natural disinfectant. From that period It became the symbol of the city of Ostuni.
Ostuni in addition to the sea and the beaches, offers an old town full of monuments and historical cultural attractions. Definitely it is important to visit The Cathedral of Santa Maria Dell’Assunzione, located in the highest part of the town where it was built in the fifteenth century thanks to Ferdinand of Aragon in Romanesque-Gothic style with a spectacular rose window with 24 beams. It also deserves a visit the stately church of S. Giacomo in Compostella, also it in Gothic style. It is said that it was the noble Pietro Caballerio who, with his will on 10 April 1423, wanted the construction of the church of San Giacomo di Compostella where it seems plausible that the vote intended to compensate for a missed pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella.
Surely it is important to point out the Museum of Preclassic Civilization of the Southern Murgia, that is a former Carmelite monastery used as a Museum and where it is possible to admire the limestones of the Paleolithic sepoture.
The historical events relating to the construction of the ancient “Ostuni Walls” certainly refer to the Messapians, the Byzantines, the Normans, the Angevins and the Aragonese. The latter, probably after the terrible earthquake of 1456, reinforced the towers of the previous period, thus expanding the defensive perimeter.
Another example of great historical and cultural splendor of the Apulian Baroque is the “Colonna di Sant’Oronzo” located in the square of the same name nearby the old town, built in 1771 to sanctify the city of Ostuni.
Just 8 km far from Ostuni old town, you can find the Marina of Ostuni with 17 km of beaches, sandy and rocky coves. It is necessary to mention Rosa Marina, Costa Merlata, Torre Pozzella, etc.